Friday, April 25, 2008

It's a first!

So last week we were at the park and Riley fell off the bench and hit her knee. One of my friends kinda over-reacted because she thought she had hit her head. Well I didn't see anything on her head so after I calmed her down she went on playing. Well I was tucking her in for her nap and I noticed at her hair line she had a bloody gunky mess, so I cleaned it up and she went to sleep. Well I was think how if she had been angled any other way she would have hit it harder and ended up w/ stitches. Now it wasn't really that bad of a cut but I was just thinking how it could have been. Well I was telling a friend this on Sunday evening and how we have been lucky thus far. We haven't had to take anyone to get stitches. (you can see where I am going w/ this...) So after dinner Riley told Eliott she would take his plate to the kitchen for him, so as it is glass, he tells her to put it on the counter instead of the sink. So like the big almost 4 year old that she is, she did a marvelous job, then I say well here Riley can you take mine too. So she carefully gets it and on the way to the kitchen trips over a shoe! Yep she shattered the plate and sliced open her finger. She could not calm down and once we finally got her to calm down a little, we figured it out, she was more upset by breaking the plate than by the cut. She was so sad it was cute. So I took her to Urgent Care, which I gotta say was fabulous! I left at 7:40 and got home at 8:35. We live 15-20 minutes away! So since we have the magical medical advance of Super Glue, she got her finger glued back together. It has been an interesting week trying to keep her from bending her pointer finger on her right hand! So this was our first "stitches" and hopefully the last for awhile!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Caroline C. Bingham said...

well, it's amazing that you've been a mom for how many years now? and this is the first "stitches" incident.

I have the extremely clumsy/kamikaze type...

jamirclark said...

I dread that day! It was bad anough with a broken arm, but stitches are much worse in my opinion!So sorry you had to go through it.

Kristine said...

I'm so jealous of that wait time cause it wasn't too long ago that I was at Urget Care for 4 HOURS to get 3 stiches put in Parker. Lucky girl. and I think its cute that she took your plates to the sink.

Nettie said...

Cute little Riley...I can totally see her being more upset by the broken plate than by her finger. I love that superglue stuff for skin. They should sell it over the counter!