Saturday, October 4, 2008

Mission accomplished...

So a few years ago I decided it would be fun to run a marathon. I talked about it off and on for those years and finally this year I decided to do it!! I found a half marathon (13 miles) in Payson. It is called the Rim Country Challenge. So I found a training guide and set out. I ran 5 days a week for 12 weeks (minus the last couple weeks, I wasn't very consistent!!) and I worked hard. So the day was finally here. We dropped the kids off at 2 different friends houses (thank you thank you!!) and set out for Payson. We left the seats to the van in Casa Grande and blew up our air mattress. It was such a gorgeous night! We opened the back windows and crashed in the van! It was so fun!! In the morning we headed over to the registration area. I thought there would have been more people but there were only 87 registered to do the half marathon! Which made me nervous since one of my main goals was to NOT BE LAST. Now you might laugh at that, but I ran cross country in high school, and it was not uncommon for me to be the last runner during the meets. I can go and go and go but I go slow!!! So seeing that there weren't many people I was a little worried about that, so I decided to focus on my next goal: TO FINISH. Now I didn't really doubt that I wouldn't finish, I had done my running, but still that was a main goal! My only other goal was to do it in under 3 hours. I really wanted to do it in 2:30ISH but I didn't know how well I would do on the hills and in the altitude since I trained in Casa Grande area and it is completely flat. So anyway we got to the start and off we went.


My dad came up there to watch me run so he and Eliott went down the course a ways to wait for me and yell and take a picture and what not. So after my awesome picture they headed off to Denny's for breakfast!!
Then after breakfast they came and tracked me down again, at this point I was pretty much by myself w/ just a few runners that I could see and some more behind that I couldn't see. They drove by me for a minute or so until I told them to leave, it was too hard to run like that. But on the upside, I need something in my stomach, so I got to have a few bites left over from my bar from breakfast and a much needed drink of water!!

The weather was gorgeous!! It could not have been better! It was overcast the entire time and had a slight breeze. It felt great. And the scenery was so pretty. We ran through neighborhoods and it was fun to see some of the different houses.

They met up w/ me once more but didn't snap any pictures, instead they got out of the car and cheered for me like goobers!! My best friend from growing up, April, came to cheer for me too!

I felt pretty good considering the difference in where I trained to where we ran. I do have hip problems and the hills were killing my hips. But I moved along and I finished!! I actually met all 3 of my goals. There was one girl that I knew was behind me but I didn't think anybody else was and I couldn't see her anymore so I didn't know if she dropped out. So when I finished I thought that there was a good chance I was last, but Dad and Eliott told me there were quite a few people behind me. And when all was said and done I think some of them dropped out!! So, not last, finished, and I did it in 2:30ish. 2:39 something, to be more exact!!

It was such a good feeling to accomplish something that I have worked so hard to do!! Eliott has been a great support too, during all my running. I tried doing it before he left for work but sometimes that didn't happen. And on Saturday mornings when I would do my long run, he never complained about the time I was gone! He is fabulous!! Thanks Babe!!! I love you!!

25 comments:

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Wow! Good job!

Anonymous said...

You are so awesome and amazing!! And you look FABULOUS. Good job!! Congrats!!!

Brimhall Bunch said...

Yeah!! You did it!

lindsay said...

that's so great jen! good job!!!

Raich said...

you are super awesome

Tawni said...

Wow, congrats to you chica!
I too have always wanted to do that! I would have come with you!
Let's do another one! Seriously!
I have always said one of these times when I am not pregnant or nursing, I've got about 1 1/2 years before that happens again, hopefully.

Janelle said...

I am so proud of you!! This is so inspiring to me. This is the first time I have ever thought about running a marathon and it has all been because of you. I might talk about it for awhile until I finally take the plunge, but not for too long!

Unknown said...

WOW you awesome girl YOU! I have to say that YOU are looking GREAT! Way to go! That is something that I would LOVE to do. What a feeling of accomplishment.

I have to say that in your post before this...I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE your brown and white top. SO cute!

And thanks for the advise for my kid problems. Everything you said I agree with 100% though it is always so much easier for me to give advise then to make my kids go through the hard things. I do agree and it is so hard as a mom to see your kids choose the hard way.

Anonymous said...

Jen you are amazing....and look incredible! You are tiny and look so sassy in your girls night photo! What a babe! Great job on your marathon..I'm super proud of you!
Congrats cutie mama!
Lizzy

BUIS LIFE... said...

Good for you Jen. I know you've been working toward this, but had no idea it was already!!

Donna said...

You are my hero Jen! I've been wanting to do a half marathon for forever now, but I just can't seem to make myself prepare. You rock!

Jessica/Patrick said...

So SO SO happy/proud for you!!
Oh and i totally want your training guide :D

:) said...

You are Stunning! Holy cow! I so suck at running it's not even funny.

Brooke Colvin said...

Congrats Jen! You weren't last - I knew it. That is a great time, and I bet you are so glad it's finally OVER! Yeah for you!

Marquita said...

Wow! Way to go! What an accomplishment! I think it would be fun to run a marathon or 1/2 marathon, but I don't know if I could finish like you did! Good job!

Eliott looks good. I haven't sseen him in a while!

Heather Curnutt said...

Jen--That's super cool! What an accomplishment.--Heather Curnutt

Anonymous said...

Way to go!!!! What an acomplishment! You are really an inspration!

Annie said...

YAY!!! I am so proud of you! I like to think that our early morning runs in Mesa were responsible for your awesome time! That's so great. I told Luke I want to move to Payson, it's so beautiful up there. Way to go Jen!

Nettie said...

SO proud of you Jen. And not only did you finish your race, you lost even more inches in the training! You look great! Good job!

Rebecca said...

Good for you! That is awesome.
I also loved the girls night out with Rylee, I bet she just loved that.

Jacey said...

CONGRATS! I'm running the PF Chang's 1/2 marathon in January. I was totally scared at first but my training is going well and I'm feeling a little better about it now. I have NEVER been a runner (not even in high school when you have to run the mile in PE, I always walked!!!). You are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

Jocey said...

You inspire me. I love you.

Kathryn Olsen said...

You are amazing! Way to accomplish your goals. Running is a tough one for me so I am way impressed!

Traeger Tribe said...

Awesome Jen! Are you going to run the Turkey Trot in Mesa? I've been training for that... it'd be cool to see you there! Next step for me is to run a 1/2 marathon!

TheLadiesRoom said...

So did you know that they were taking all of those pics? Or do you just smile the entire time you run? =) You look totally fabulous Jen! Amazing job!!!