Wednesday, July 4, 2007

My Hike!!


So I had this awesome opportunity to go on a hike with 3 of my 4 brothers and 4 other guys. It was a blast. Yes I was the only girl. Which really wasn't that bad. I was a little worried how that would go, but my brother's father-in-law was the only one that was a wimp and grossed out by my having to go to the bathroom. It was kinda funny.
So this hike was in the Paria Canyon. It is on the border of Utah and Arizona, near Page. It was 50 miles and we did it in 6 days. It was so much fun. It is gorgeous country. The canyon walls the first 2 days were so close you could touch both walls at the same time for most of the 24 miles. It was crazy pretty. We had to walk through muddy water holes, and climb over, around, and through huge boulders that were stuck in the canyon. It was definitely an adventure. Most of it was through sand too. So it was pretty tough hiking. I carried all my own stuff. My pack weighed in between 40-45 depending on how much water we had to carry. I even had to set up my own tent (which I never have had to do before so I was pretty proud of myself!!) There is this one part where the boulders have created a "boulder jam" so there is a rope tied at the top and you have to lower your pack down and then repel down. That was sooo fun! So after the first grueling day, that was supposed to be only 8 miles but really ended up being 12 miles, the question for everyone was, "would you do it again?" That day and every day after my answer was always the same. "Heck yes I would!!" And now 12 blisters, 50 miles, 1 case of near heat exhaustion, and a sore knee later my answer is still "heck yes" I had a blast and am so grateful for that opportunity! I wouldn't have been able to do it though, without the help of my awesome friends, Kristine and Melissa and my wonderful hubby who all took care of my adorable kids! Thanks to you guys and to my awesome brothers who included a "girl" on their hike!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

fiiiiiiinally.


You look so cute doing all of your fun hiking stuff! I'm glad too that you had the opportunity to go- and I'm also grateful for your wonderful friends and husband! I'm also glad, most of all, that you made it back safe and happy. :)

Kristine said...

I'm just glad you came back in one piece. Well, besides the blisters and all. Your kids were very fun, although at one point I did look at James and say that this experiance definantely ruled out us having 6 kids. Those pictures are pretty sweet. glad you had an awesome time!

The Scotts said...

Wow Jen!! You should be on Man vs Wild! Way to do a 6 day hike!!

Nichole said...

Yay Jen! You survived! I don't ever expect anything less because you're Wonder Woman!

Erica said...

You are awesome! I can't belive it I would not have lasted! It sounds like you had a great time! You should hang with Bear from Man vs Wild